Limoncello is fragrant liquor originated on the south of Italia.
- 1 kilo of lemons (6-10 fruits depending on their size);
- 500 ml of alcohol 95-96%;
- 500 grams of sugar;
- 650 ml of pure non-sparkling water.
Select the most fragrant, yellow, and attractive lemons, particularly thick ones – they are simpler to peel.
- Wash lemons, or better – pour over boiling water, then rub with a rough and coarse tissue. Then peel off the skin: remove only its yellow part – this is what gives lemons the bitter taste. It’s easier to do with a peeler.
- Put lemon peel in a jar, pour 500 ml of alcohol, and close tightly. Write down the date of the procedure.
- The alcohol from lemons should be prepared for 7 days in a dark cold place. Shake it intensively 2-5 times. Italians can be making Limoncello for months, however, practice shows that it’s just a waste of time that can only hurt the taste of the beverage.
- After a week, the liquor should be filtered. Then you can start making syrup.
- Put 0.5 kilos of sugar in a pot and pour over with 0.65 liters of water. Boil the syrup and remove the foam. Heat water up to 50-60 degrees by Celsius and dilute sugar, and then boil it up twice removing the foam constantly.
- Stop heating the pot – let it cool down to room temperature, then add to your liquor. The beverage will get blurred – it’s okay because the essential oils have emulsified, g. released from the alcohol that kept them.
- Leave the beverage in the fridge for 5-6 days and keep shaking it once a day. In 5 days, limoncello can be drunk.
Since homemade limoncello is prepared without distillation, it will contain a lot of Vitamin C.
If you prepare it strictly according to the recipe, you’ll get liquor with an alcohol volume of 35-38%, and sugar content of about 30 gr/100 ml. It’s considered to be classic Limoncello.
Usually, Limoncello is drunk frozen, e.g. after being kept in a freezer (don’t worry, it won’t turn into ice). Leave it on a freezer for a few hours, or even a day. Besides, you can put the liquor glasses there, too.